Close window
Emergency Information

If you have an emergency, call 911 or 362-5111.

If you do not have an emergency but would like an officer response you can call 362-5115. Or you can view our contact page here

Close window

City of Rancho Cordova Rancho Cordova Police Department

Parking FAQ's

I paid my registration fees, but I still got a citation for expired registration.  Why?

A vehicle is not considered registered unless all three criteria are met: smog compliance, proof of insurance provided to DMV, and registration fees paid.  A vehicle may not be parked on a public street nor public retail parking lot without evidence of valid registration displayed.  If a vehicle’s registration is expired over 6 months, the vehicle may be towed off the street without warning and held until the registered owner has contacted DMV to bring their registration up to date.

I received a citation for parking facing the wrong way on the street.  Why is that a big deal?

Vehicles need to be parked next to the sidewalk with the flow of traffic.  When a vehicle is parked the wrong way (against the flow of traffic), the vehicle’s rear red reflectors are not visible to oncoming traffic in darkness.   This increases the chance of a collision.  Also, when in the process of parking or leaving from facing the wrong direction, the vehicle has to cross over into the opposite direction of travel which increases the likelihood of a head-on collision.

My road is narrow so I park with my car half on the sidewalk to avoid being hit by another car.  Is that okay?

Vehicles need to be parked on the surface of the street, not the sidewalk.  The sidewalk allows pedestrians to safely traverse the area without having to walk in traffic.  When vehicles park on the sidewalk, it limits the movement of children, adults, and persons with disabilities forcing them to enter the street.  For clarification, the right side of the parked vehicle’s wheels may rest against the rolled portion of the curb leading from the street level to the sidewalk, but the wheels cannot rest on the horizontal surface of the sidewalk.

I live in a cul-de-sac.  Is it okay to park “straight in” on the street in front of my house?

Even in a cul-de-sac, vehicles must be parked parallel to curb as in any other residential street.  When vehicles park “straight in,” it blocks garbage trucks, fire trucks, and other vehicles from maneuvering.

My neighbor parks his car on the street and never moves it.  Who do I call?

Contact the Traffic Bureau at (916) 876-7558.  The law says a vehicle may be parked on a public street for not more that 72 consecutive hours in the same location.  After 72 hours, the vehicle must be re-parked at least 300 feet away from the original spot.

If a vehicle is left on the street over 72 hours without movement, it is considered abandoned.  Upon receiving a complaint, the officer may affix a warning sticker on the vehicle and then re-check it at a later date.  The warning sticker is provided as a courtesy, but if the officer has reason to believe to the vehicle has been parked at the same location (or within the 300 feet) over 72 hours without movement, he or she may tow the vehicle without notice.  It is better to park vehicles in garages or driveways since everyone has to share the street.

Where can I park my large commercial vehicle?

Rancho Cordova has an Oversize Vehicle municipal code which restricts large commercial vehicles to park in certain designated non-residential areas.  The fine amount is $100 for the first violation.  The fines increase to $200 and $500 for multiple violations within a year. Most pickup trucks used for personal use do not qualify as an “Oversized Vehicle.”

How do I report a parking violation?

Call the Parking Enforcement Detail at (916) 876-7558.

How do I pay a parking citation?

Mailing a check or money order payable to the agency listed at the top of the citation to:

Parking Citation Service Center
P.O BOX 11923
Santa Ana, CA 92711

Be sure to include a copy of the citation or write the citation number on the envelope and the check. Make a credit card payment at (888) 312-0027 or pay on line at

Pay in person at the Rancho Cordova Police Station, 2897 Kilgore Road. Cash or money order only.

Payment plans are not available.

How do I contest a parking citation?

There are three levels to appeal a parking violation.

To request a level one administrative appeal, you must submit the appeal in writing within 21 calendar days from the issuance of the citation or 14 calendar days from the mailing of a notice of delinquent parking violation. There is no charge for this review. Include a copy of the citation, your name, address and the reason you are contesting. Include all relevant evidence. Be sure to use the correct form (Attachment A). You must select the proper form from the issuing agency listed at the top of your citation (Sacramento County, Rancho Cordova).

If you are not satisfied with the results of your first stage review you may request an administrative hearing of the violation no later than 21 calendar days following the mailing of the results from the initial review stage appeal. You’re request for a hearing must be accompanied by payment of the citation in full or by filling out a financial waiver. You must state if you would like a hearing “by mail” or “in person”. Be sure to use the correct form (Attachments B and C).

If you are not satisfied with the administrative hearing results, you may further appeal your case to the Carol Miller Justice Center at (916) 386-7138 within 30 calendar days from the mailing of your hearing results. If you appeal this decision to the Carol Miller Justice Center, you are required to provide a copy of the appeal notice to the Sacramento Sheriff’s Parking Enforcement Detail at 903 Enterprise Dr., Sacramento, CA 95825 by personal delivery or first-class mail to avoid late fees and a lien on the vehicle registration. If your citation is dismissed by the court and you paid any portion of your fine, you will be mailed a refund, including the $25.00 court filing fee. (See web site located at bottom of page).

Failure to respond to the citation within 21 days will result in:
A $8.00 Penalty: and
Doubling of the parking fine; and
Notification to the Department Of Motor Vehicles in the form of a lien.
DMV refusing to register or re-register the vehicle until all outstanding parking penalties are paid.

If you have any questions regarding the process to contest a parking citation, you may contact the Parking Enforcement Detail at (916) 876-6642.

Citation Contest Form (1st Stage Appeal): Sacramento County
Citation Contest Form (1st Stage Appeal): Rancho Cordova

Carol Miller Justice Center
California Vehicle Codes
Sacramento County Ordinances

I have several late, unpaid traffic tickets.  How do I take care of them?
You need to go to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to take care of all the tickets.  You will not be able to register your car until those are taken care of.


How do I get a copy of a traffic accident report?
Contact our Traffic Unit at (916) 876-7558 to request a copy or come to the front counter Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
You will need to:
Be a party to the accident (driver, passenger, parent, insurance company or attorney)
Complete a Release form
Pay the $15.00 report copy fee

My car was towed and/or impounded.  How do I get it back?


You may arrange for the release of your vehicle by personally bringing the following items to the Rancho Cordova Police Department located at 2897 Kilgore Road between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Closed on weekends and holidays.

Be aware, vehicles will only be released to the registered owner of the vehicle.  If the R/O cannot personally come to the Police Department, a NOTARIZED letter giving permission to the specific person picking up the car is required.  If you have questions regarding this policy, please call Towing at (916) 876-7625.

Current vehicle registration
Proof of liability insurance
Valid driver's license (If you are unlicensed, you must have a valid signature-bearing photo ID and a licensed driver with you) No exceptions will be allowed!

$114.00 in cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard.  This is the administrative fee pursuant to City of Rancho Cordova Resolution 85-2004.  Personal checks will not be accepted.

How much will it cost to get my vehicle released?

There is an administrative fee of $114.00 due to the Rancho Cordova Police to get a release.

Then there are the standard tow company fees: (These are subject to change and are NOT set by the police department!!!)

Tow charge for cars, light trucks and motorcycles: $185/hour (usually takes 1 hr)
Tow charge for RV's or Motor Homes and oversized trucks: $225 (or more depending on vehicle type).

$45.00 per day storage and $53 per day for oversized vehicles

How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

You may call our Traffic Unit at (916) 876-7558.

Cars keep parking in front of my house.  What can I do?

The property line does not extend out past the sidewalk.  People are allowed to park anywhere on the street they choose provided they park legally and do not leave the vehicle without moving it for more than 72 hours.

If you feel the vehicle has been left for over 72 hours thus making it "abandoned", you may contact our Traffic Unit at (916) 876-7558.

Where is the Traffic Court and how do I reach them?

All traffic related court matters are handled at the Carol Miller Justice Center located at 301 Bicentennial Drive, near Power Inn and Folsom Blvd.  Their hours are Monday through Friday, 8:05 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and their phone number is 916-875-7800 or 875-7200. Remember that all California courthouses are closed the third Wednesday of each month.

How do I get a citation signed off?

Any Peace Officer can sign off a citation, but we prefer you come to our station and have our front counter officers sign it off.  Many times citizens approach officers to sign off tickets when it is inappropriate, like when they are handling another call or when they are having their lunch break in a restaurant.  Please consider those facts when approaching an officer.

Our office, at 2897 Kilgore Road, is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to assist you.  Please call (916) 875-9600 if you need more information.

How can I get VIN verification?

California Highway Patrol (CHP) performs VIN verifications.  You may contact them at (916) 861-1300.

Please do not approach officers in the field.  They do not carry the forms nor do they have time to complete the process.