Close window
Emergency Information

If you have an emergency, call 911 or 362-5111.

If you do not have an emergency but would like an officer response you can call 362-5115. Or you can view our contact page here

Close window

City of Rancho Cordova Rancho Cordova Police Department

Traffic FAQ's

Cars keep parking in front of my house. What can I do?
The property line does not extend out past the sidewalk.  People are allowed to park anywhere on the street they choose provided they park legally and do not leave the vehicle without moving it for more than 72 hours.

If you feel the vehicle has been left for over 72 hours thus making it "abandoned", you may contact Parking Enforcement at (916) 876-7558  or use our online traffic complaint form.
I have several late, unpaid traffic tickets. How do I take care of them?
You need to go to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to take care of all the tickets. You will not be able to register your car until those are taken care of.
How much will it cost to get my vehicle released?

There is an administrative fee of $152.00 due to the Rancho Cordova Police Department to get a release.
Then there are the standard tow company fees: (These are subject to change and are NOT set by the police department!!!):

  • Tow charge for cars, light trucks and motorcycles: $185/hour (usually takes 1 hr)
  • Tow charge for RV's or Motor Homes: $225 (usually takes 1.5 hrs= $337)
  • $45.00 per day storage for most passenger vehicles
  • $53.00 per day storage for RV's and motorhomes
My car was towed and/or impounded. How do I get it back?
You may arrange for the release of your vehicle by personally bringing the following items to the Rancho Cordova Police Station located at 2897 Kilgore Road between 9:00am to 4:00pm. Monday through Friday:

Be aware, vehicles will only be released to the registered owner of the vehicle.  If the R/O cannot personally come to the Police Station, a NOTARIZED letter giving permission to the specific person picking up the car is required.  If you have questions regarding this policy, please call Towing at (916) 876-7625.

  • Current vehicle registration
  • Proof of insurance
  • Valid driver's license (School ID, Green Cards, Passports, Costco cards will NOT be accepted as identification or give you the right to drive a motor vehicle).  If you do not have a valid driver's license, you must bring someone else with you to drive the vehicle from the tow yard.  No exceptions will be allowed!
  • $152.00 in cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard.  This is the administrative fee pursuant to Rancho Cordova City Towing Ordinance.  Personal checks will not be accepted.
How can I get a VIN verification?

You must contact the California Highway Patrol (CHP) to obtain a VIN verification.

5109 Tyler Street
Sacramento 95841-2583

6 Massie Court
Sacramento 95823-4390

What should I do if I’ve been involved in a traffic collision?

A person should first ensure that no one is injured. If no one is injured, all parties (drivers) should exchange information: driver’s license numbers (if in possession, or known), vehicle license numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all drivers (passengers if possible), and the names of the insurance companies of the drivers involved. The involved persons should also write down the location where the traffic collision occurred (utilizing cross street names or addresses and street names), and the time it occurred.

How do I make a traffic collision report?

It is the policy of the Rancho Cordova Police Department to complete a traffic collision report for collisions that occurred within the City of Rancho Cordova under the following circumstances:

  • A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered an injury) or dies.
  • One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
  • City property is involved (City vehicle, light post, signal post, etc.)

If any of the above conditions is met at the scene of a traffic collision, the Rancho Cordova Police Department should be notified in one of the following manners:
911 (in case of an emergency)
362-5111 from cellular phones
Non-Emergency Information Line

In addition to filing a traffic collision report with the Rancho Cordova Police Department, it may also be necessary to file otherDepartment of Motor Vehicles Forms. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles web page for more information on state reporting requirements for traffic collisions.
Any person involved in a traffic collision, that meets the criteria, can go the police station to make a report. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:

  • The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred.
  • The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision.
  • Driver’s license
  • Insurance information (name of the insurance company and the policy number).
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle
  • If known, the license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers.
What are the top five traffic violations that cause traffic collisions?

The five top traffic violations which cause traffic collisions:
21703 (a) VC
Following to close.

You must follow the vehicle in front of you a distance that allows you to stop, no matter how quickly that vehicle stops. The three (3) second rule will allow you to easily judge this distance. The three second rule indicates that if you see the vehicle in front of you pass a object (i.e. cross walk line, light pole, etc) you should not pass that same object in less than three seconds.

21453 (a) VC
Failing to stop for red signal lights.
California law recently doubled the fine for red light violations.

23152 (a) VC
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

22350 VC
In excess of the posted speed limit, or driving at any speed that is unsafe, based on the conditions present (rain, fog and other conditions may dictate that even the posted speed is not safe.)

21801 (a) VC
Left turns.
A driver may not negotiate a left turn when another vehicle is approaching head on, that is so close as to be a hazard.

Vehicle Code Changes for 2008

Many changes have been made to the California Vehicle Code which went into effect January 1, 2008.  Drivers should make themselves aware of these new laws by visiting websites such as the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Some of the more notable sections are referred to below:

Wireless Telephones:
SB 1613 prohibits the use of handheld cellular telephones while driving.  Starting July 1, 2008, a driver may use a cell phone only if it has a hands-free listening and speaking system.  Drivers ticketed for a violation will be subject to a minimum total fine of $70 for a first offense and $175 for subsequent offenses.  "Push-to-talk" systems (such as Nextel) are exempt from the hands-free requirement for drivers of Commercial Vehicles Only until July 1, 2011.  After this date, ALL drivers must comply with this law. This is a primary violation.  Refer VC section 23123.

A secondary violation will also go into effect July 1, 2008, prohibiting the use of a wireless telephone or mobile service device by a minor while operating a vehicle.  This bill targeted minors due to the high use of these devices for not only phone use, but also texting. Refer VC section 23124.

Click here for Frequently Asked Questions regarding these new wireless telephone laws.

Smoking In Vehicles:
SB 7 prohibits smoking in a vehicle when there is a minor (under 18) in the vehicle.  The vehicle need not be in motion; however, this is a secondary violation.  An officer cannot stop a vehicle simply for a violation of this section.

License Plates:
Drivers will have a harder time evading “red light” cameras and similar devices. AB 801 makes it illegal to sell or use a product that obstructs or impairs the recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by police or toll authority. The fine for using a product to obscure a license plate is approximately $146, and the fine for selling such a product is approximately $900.

Street Racing:
 In a further crackdown on dangerous and illegal street races, SB 67 reauthorizes a law that lapsed in 2006. It allows police to impound a vehicle for 30 days when a person is arrested for street racing, exhibition of speed, or reckless driving.

Traffic School:
AB 645 prohibits a court from allowing a driver who commits a two-point violation from attending traffic school. Two-point violations include drunk driving, hit-and-run, speed contests, evading an officer, and vehicular manslaughter. In 2004, there were 773 instances in which two-point violators had their driving records expunged by attending traffic school, allowing them to maintain their “good driver” insurance discount and elude DMV negligent-driver oversight.

DUI Driver’s License Declaration:
Starting July 1, 2008, AB 808 requires an applicant as a condition of obtaining or renewing a driver’s license to sign a declaration acknowledging that a driver may be charged with murder if a person is killed as a result of driving under the influence (DUI). Refer VC section 13385.

DUI Repeated Offense:
Starting January 1, 2009, AB 1165 makes it unlawful for a person who is on probation for a driving-under-the-influence offense to operate a motor vehicle at any time with a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.01 percent or greater. Imposes an admin per se driver license suspension on persons found to violate this prohibition.

How do I get a copy of a traffic collision report?

Contact our Records Bureau at (916) 876-7558 to request a copy or come to the front counter Monday - Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.  You may also download a copy of the form, fill it out and mail it to the station house at;

Rancho Cordova Traffic Accident Report Request
2897 Kilgore Road
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

You will need to:

  • Be a party to the accident (driver, passenger, parent, insurance company or attorney)
  • Complete a Release form
  • Pay the $15.00 report copy fee by check or money order payable to “City of Rancho Cordova
  • Reports involving major injuries or a fatality (death) cost $75.00 and may take several months to be completed.

Click here to download a copy of the Accident Report request form