Close window
Emergency Information

If you have an emergency, call 911 or 362-5111.

If you do not have an emergency but would like an officer response you can call 362-5115. Or you can view our contact page here

Close window

City of Rancho Cordova Rancho Cordova Police Department

Parking Related FAQ's

Where can I park my large commercial vehicle?

The City of Rancho Cordova has adopted an ordinance (RCC 10.24.075) restricting the parking of commercial and recreational vehicles on any public street, highway or right of way within the City of Rancho Cordova that is not within a designated heavy industrial zone (M-2 classification), or other areas specifically posted to permit parking. Click here for a map of industrial zones

I live in a cul-de-sac. Is it okay to park “straight in” on the street in front of my house?
Even in a cul-de-sac, vehicles must be parked parallel to curb as in any other residential street. When vehicles park “straight in,” it blocks garbage trucks, fire trucks, and other vehicles from maneuvering.
My neighbor parks his car on the street and never moves it. Who do I call?

Contact the Traffic Bureau at (916) 876-7558 or use the online traffic complaints form.

The law says a vehicle may be parked on a public street for not more that 72 consecutive hours in the same location.  After 72 hours, the vehicle must be re-parked at least 300 feet away from the original spot.  If a vehicle is left on the street over 72 hours without movement, it is considered abandoned.  Upon receiving a complaint, the officer may affix a warning sticker on the vehicle and then re-check it at a later date.  The warning sticker is provided as a courtesy, but if the officer has reason to believe to the vehicle has been parked at the same location (or within the 300 feet) over 72 hours without movement, he or she may tow the vehicle without notice.  It is better to park vehicles in garages or driveways since everyone has to share the street.

Cars keep parking in front of my house. What can I do?
The property line does not extend out past the sidewalk.  People are allowed to park anywhere on the street they choose provided they park legally and do not leave the vehicle without moving it for more than 72 hours.

If you feel the vehicle has been left for over 72 hours thus making it "abandoned", you may contact Parking Enforcement at (916) 876-7558  or use our online traffic complaint form.
How do I take care of a parking ticket?

Payment should be made by check or money order to:
        City of Rancho Cordova
        c/o Parking Citation Service Center
        PO Box 11923
        Santa Ana, CA 92711-1923
Please include the citation number on the check.  A PENALTY WILL BE ASSESSED FOR CHECKS NOT HONORED BY YOUR BANK.  DO NOT MAIL CASH.

You may also pay in person at our office, 2897 Kilgore Rd., Rancho Cordova, CA, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For more information you may contact our Parking Enforcement Unit at (916) 875-9600.

To contest your citation, fill out this form and mail it within 21 days of the citation issue date to the below address:

        City of Rancho Cordova
        c/o Parking Citation Service Center
        PO Box 11923
        Santa Ana, CA 92711-1923

I received a citation for parking facing the wrong way on the street. Why is that a big deal?
Vehicles need to be parked next to the sidewalk with the flow of traffic. When a vehicle is parked the wrong way (against the flow of traffic), the vehicle’s rear red reflectors are not visible to oncoming traffic in darkness. This increases the chance of a collision. Also, when in the process of parking or leaving from facing the wrong direction, the vehicle has to cross over into the opposite direction of travel which increases the likelihood of a head-on collision.
My road is narrow so I park with my car half on the sidewalk to avoid being hit by another car. Is that okay?
Vehicles need to be parked on the surface of the street, not the sidewalk. The sidewalk allows pedestrians to safely traverse the area without having to walk in traffic. When vehicles park on the sidewalk, it limits the movement of children, adults, and persons with disabilities forcing them to enter the street. For clarification, the right side of the parked vehicle’s wheels may rest against the rolled portion of the curb leading from the street level to the sidewalk, but the wheels cannot rest on the horizontal surface of the sidewalk.
I paid my registration fees, but I still got a citation for expired registration. Why?
A vehicle is not considered registered unless all three criteria are met: smog compliance, proof of insurance provided to DMV, and registration fees paid. A vehicle may not be parked on a public street nor public retail parking lot without evidence of valid registration displayed. If a vehicle’s registration is expired over 6 months, the vehicle may be towed off the street without warning and held until the registered owner has contacted DMV to bring their registration up to date.